Friday, June 11, 2010

A new look

Like the new blog template?  I felt like my funk necessitated a bit of a change.  Doesn't this look like it would be a nice place to run?  The templates had a bunch of different options, though none really screamed "runner!" to me.  I thought about putting a big mountain in the background, since that's what I sometimes feel like I'm running up, but I settled for the nice tree lined street, which is not unlike where I usually run.

In the wake of my craptastic performance in the Skirt Chaser 5k last weekend, my runs this week have been quite a bit better.  Haakan and I decided I should try to pick up the pace of my easy runs a bit, so I did my 5 miler at a zippy 10:28 minute mile, rather than the 10:45+ I had been shooting for.  My easy 3 miler on Wednesday was slower, because I was planning to do my long run, but forces conspired against me.  First, I wasn't able to get out the door as early as I wanted to because Charlie pooped after I fed him, and then decided not to go back to sleep easily.  Then, about 2 minutes after I got out the door, the sky literally opened up and the rain just *poured* down on me.  I decided to call it my easy run after 3 miles and headed for home, waterlogged and glad that I had the wiggle room to do it another day.  So I did the long run yesterday evening, and it went ok.  I continue to struggle with pacing issues and I went out entirely too fast for a long run.  The first 5.5 miles were awesome.  The last 3.5 miles were pretty harsh.  My feet were bothering me, I was tired, and I just couldn't pull in the pace for some reason.  I was glad to be done.

The high point of my long run is that my snazzy new Nike Airborne Long Top worked awesome.  I'm always on the lookout for a tank with a built in bra that actually works without another bra underneath, and this is the first one I've found that really works the way it's supposed to.  I definitely want to get another one.  It stayed put, was supportive, was nice and airy despite feeling substantial, and it didn't show weird sweat stains (always a plus).  I went down a size in the Nike Speed Shorts, too, and I think that helped with the weird fit issues I was having before.  I am also madly in love with the way too expensive Lululemon Run:Speed Shorts that I splurged on.  Yes, they are short, but I think I can make them work.  And best of all, they work great.  They're super comfortable, they don't ride up, and I actually think they might make me run a little bit faster.

No comments: