Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I heart Florence + the Machine

There are those who would say that running with music is a crutch Haakan  and those who swear by it. I'm somewhere in between, I've done runs with tunes and runs without.  I did all my last marathon training with audiobooks, which was actually kind of fun.  But this morning, as it was pouring down rain and was potentially going to be icy, I ended up on the treadmill and I found that the tunes were key to keeping me going for 8 incredibly dull miles.  Haakan was a trooper and got the kids all ready to go about their various routines while I ran at home, and though we have a TV in the bedroom positioned right in front of the treadmill, I didn't use it this time since I didn't know which kids were going to come in and want to sit on the bed and talk endlessly to me while I ran (this do that a lot).  So I had NPR on for the first half of my run, and after hearing about riots in Egypt, healthcare policy in the US, and the condition of the local roads (not as bad as they'd thought they'd be, for once), I felt like I needed to change things up a bit, so into my new music I went.

I've thanked Florence + the Machine in the title of this post, but really, Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Cee Lo Green, Gnarles Barkley (who is mostly Cee Lo Green), and Lady GaGa all share some of the credit here.  I've got to thank my friend Carrie for the recommendation of Florence + the Machine, what a great group.  I'm really enjoying the whole CD, but obviously "The Dog Days are Over" is a fabulous running song.  I also REALLY liked the visual of the video, with everyone popping into little puffs of confetti at the end.  I heard this at the very end of my run and I kept thinking about those little pops, like the 10ths of miles popping off as I finished them.  So, for your viewing pleasure:

1 comment:

C said...

I first heard that song "Dog Days Are Over" while I was working out at the gym. It stuck with me the whole day and I loved it. I went home and downloaded it to my Ipod so now everytime I am in a rut at the gym I play that song and Eminem's "Til I Collapse".