Sunday, January 2, 2011

Some numbers to wrap up 2010

2010 was a good year.  And for those of you who love numbers and stats, here are a few to review the year that was.

803 miles run total
13 races completed (8 5k's, 3 10k's, and 1 half marathon)
3 5k PR's set
3 slowest records sent (slowest 5k, slowest 10k, slowest half marathon)
2 pairs of running shoes gone through

I love the symmetry of having had so many extreme highs and extreme lows at the same time this year.  Still I'm hoping that moderation is more the order of the day for the new year, all those highs and lows get exhausting!

So far we're off to a good start.  I did my first long run of the year yesterday and it went pretty well.  I was not at all pleased to head out for 12 miles in the pouring rain, on what I consider to be not nearly enough sleep, but it really wasn't unpleasant, other than my hands being absolutely frozen by the time I got home.  I haven't figured out a good way to keep the hands warm when it's raining, do they make rain-proof gloves or mittens?  I kept a rather zippy pace of 10:21, and felt pretty good still at the end.  Next week I up my mileage to 33 miles, so I do a 10 mile, a 7 mile, a 4 mile tempo run, and a 12 mile long run.  I think this will be the highest weekly mileage I've ever run, since training for my previous marathon topped out around 31 miles (which explains a whole lot about how that race went down).  Then the next week I get to up my long run to 14 miles, which is about where the wheels came off of my marathon training over the summer.  I'm both looking forward to this mini milestone and kind of afraid of it.

No comments: